VOTE FOR ISSUE 30 on March 17, 2020 
to maintain quality recreation services 
& Orange Community Education & Recreation

The communities that make up the Orange School District are vibrant and engaging places to live, work, shop and play. Orange Community Education & Recreation is proud to play an integral part in this environment and grateful for the support and relationships we maintain in the community.

The Orange School District Board of Education adopted a resolution at the November 4, 2019 regular meeting declaring it necessary to renew an existing 0.95-mill tax levy for the purpose of operating and maintaining Orange Community Education & Recreation (OCER) programming and facilities, for five years. 

This levy, first passed in 1975 and every 5 years since then, is designed to provide approximately 25% of the funds needed to operate Orange Community Education & Recreation and provide its many programs and services to our community. The remaining 75% of the department’s budget is gained through participant fees, donations and grants. 

In fact, the department has successfully operated on the same .95-mill renewable levy funding, with no increases, since 1995! 

On March 17, voters in the Orange School District will have the opportunity to VOTE FOR ISSUE 30 to maintain quality recreation services and Orange Community Education & Recreation.

We hope you will take a minute to scroll through this page and learn more about the importance of this levy, and to voice your support of Orange Community Education & Recreation. 

  Download our Fact sheet here   

Issue 30 is a renewal and WILL NOT increase taxes.

The department’s current levy funding expires in 2020, so a return to the ballot box is necessary.

This levy has been a straight renewal since 1995 with NO increase in cost to homeowners. Additionally, renewal levies like ours produce a State of Ohio 12.5% homestead exemption and rollback credit to residents’ tax bills.

In essence, this renewal levy costs less for homeowners than if even a decreased levy was proposed

What is the approximate cost to a homeowner?

The cost to homeowners is based on the Cuyahoga County Auditor’s appraised tax value. Because this levy is a renewal, tax payers receive a 12.5% discount via the state of Ohio Homestead Exemption / Rollback, so homeowners actually pay taxes for this levy on 87.5% of their home’s tax value.

The Cuyahoga County Auditor has determined that a tax payer with a home valued at $100,000 will pay approximately $28 per year, for each of the next five years, for the Orange Community Education & Recreation levy.

Because this is a renewal levy, the cost to homeowners has remained the same since 1995! The cost per year for a home valued at $100,000 in 1995 was $28 per year and would remain $28 per year in 2020-2025.

How Is Orange Community Education & Recreation Funded?

The department is funded partially by a .95 mil, 5-year renewable levy. This levy provides about 25% of the funds needed to operate Orange Community Education & Recreation and provide its many programs and services to our community. The remaining 75% of the department’s budget is gained through participant fees, donations and grants. 

The department undergoes extensive review when creating its budget. It is conservative in its projections and closely monitors all expenses, from utilities and administrative services to facility improvements and postage.

In other words, the department does not take lightly the tax dollars received through this levy and works every day to maximize those dollars while keeping expenses in check.

Direct costs for programs including instructor fees, program supplies, field trip admissions, sports uniforms and other types of direct costs are paid for in full by participant fees.

When a program doesn’t meet its financial bottom line, it is canceled. However, indirect costs such as facility overhead, marketing, administrative support, custodial support, maintenance, and utilities are not fully covered by revenue earned on programming. Levy funds help offset those costs.

Why support Orange Community Education & Recreation?

Orange Community Education & Recreation is a national leader in providing community education and recreation services.

From an award-winning preschool and quality after school programs for children, to youth sports, theatre, fine arts and culture for kids and adults, and social opportunities and community involvement for senior citizens, we are truly building community for all, one activity at a time.

Studies show that prospective home buyers consistently choose areas with strong schools and recreational opportunities. 

Children and adults of all ages benefit from participating in physical, social and educational activities.  

Whether learning how to throw a pitch in our baseball league or how to make a quilt in a class at Orange Senior Center, Orange Community Education & Recreation provides opportunities for people to learn, play, grow and create. 

Last year, more than 13,000 participants

  • took a trip
  • exercised
  • learned a language
  • played chess
  • built a robot
  • painted a portrait
  • figured out Facebook
  • roared like a dinosaur
  • swam a lap
  • and much, much more

Orange Community Education & Recreation is:

  • Youth Recreation
  • Open Door Before/After School Care
  • Orange Youth Sports
  • Orange Early Childhood Preschool
  • Stagecrafters Theatre
  • Adaptive Recreation
  • Orange Art Center
  • Orange Senior Center
  • Adult Education & Discovery

 Find out more about Orange Rec 

What will the ballot language look like?

Why is the Orange City School District referenced?

The Orange School District is the fiscal officer for Orange Community Education & Recreation, and supervised by the Orange Board of Education.

It is important to note that monies generated from this levy are strictly for the operation of Orange Community Education & Recreation; likewise, school district funds are not appropriated for Orange Community Education & Recreation use.

Why are recreation facilities referenced? Are there plans to improve facilities?

There are no current plans to renovate, build or significantly remodel our facilities.

Ohio election law requires that renewal levies use language identical to it’s first passage. This levy language was created in 1995 so it must be used in full today.

Citizens for the Continuation of Orange Community Education & Recreation

The Citizens for the Continuation of Orange Community Education & Recreation is a group of Orange School District residents providing information and raising funds to support the 2020 Orange Community Education & Recreation .95 mil, 5-year renewable levy. 

The committee includes members of the Orange Community Education & Recreation Commission and residents who agree that the services provided by the department are valuable to the greater Orange community.

The committee’s co-chairs are Dave Watson, Pepper Pike, and Cathy Bobeck, Orange Village. The levy committee’s treasurer is Dan Blakemore, Woodmere Village.

We thank each and every individual who participates, takes a class and shows their support for Orange Community Education & Recreation.

Would you like to get involved? The time commitment is minimal but the impact is great.

          sign up         

 

Get More Information on Issue 30 at These Local Events

6:30 – 7:30 pm

Lander Circle Kiwanis Club

Garfield Memorial United Methodist Church, Lander & Chagrin 

January 20

 7:30 – 8:30 pm

Pepper Pike City Council meeting

Pepper Pike City Hall 

January 22

10:30 am

Orange Senior Center Advisory Committee meeting

Orange Senior Center

January 29

6:30 pm

Community Information Night

Pepper Pike Learning Center – details here

January 29

7 pm

Community Information Night

Pepper Pike Learning Center – details here

February 11

7 pm

Moreland Hills Village Council meeting

Moreland Hills Village Hall

February 12

VOTE FOR ISSUE 30

Every vote counts. ISSUE 30 is on the Presidential Primary ballot on Tuesday, March 17. Be sure to get out and VOTE!

 

Need more information on voting?

Register to Vote

Find Your Polling Location

Vote By Mail

 DONATE

Help this grassroots group meet it’s  next goal of $3,000 to pay for postage, design and printing of postcard, yard signs and other advertising methods.

Donate by credit card here through PayPal or donate by check: Citizens for the Continuation of Orange Community Education & Recreation, Dan Blakemore, Treasurer, 3900 Maplecrest Rd., Woodmere, OH  44122.

You can also donate supplies! See our list here. 

Follow Us & Share

Help us let other voters know about Issue 30 to maintain quality recreation services and Orange Community Education & Recreation! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

This website is paid for by Citizens for the Continuation of Orange Community Education & Recreation, Dan Blakemore, Treasurer, 3900 Maplecrest Rd., Woodmere, OH